Thursday 22 May 2014

A bookmark a week #7 pretty storage

Hello there you (yes, you).

This week I decided to do a crafty project. I bought a glue gun a little while ago and decided to use it to stick some stuff to some other stuff. Logic.

I have many storage problems, I always seem to have too much stuff everywhere so I'm trying to get organised for pretty much the first time in my life. Recently I've been obsessing about perfume storage.

When Ben and I moved house last year, I set up an ikea computer desk that we were no longer using in our room as a sort of dressing table with an old pub stool as the seat. It's not pretty, but it works and I love it.



But where to put my perfumes? I seem to have a few now, not sure how that happened, and since I've always been a bit of a beauty product geek I want to look after them. I've seen on the internet where people said they shouldn't be in sunlight because.... er.... because of reasons that sound utterly plausible, if completely forgettable. But mine are in daylight! Panic!

Yes they are very dusty you judgy mcjudge-pants.

I can't put them in a drawer, they're full of other beauty products and tools, but now I know I can't leave them out either. What to do?

The answer came to me after buying an exceedingly comfortable pair of shoes (crocs in fact. I'm not ashamed). I can decorate a shoebox and use that! I know, I'm a genius. 

I toyed with painting it, then decided it would look terrible and I'd make an awful mess. Then I decided to cover it in fabric. After all, how hard could it be? So I searched and found this.


Looks pretty simple eh? 

Of course my box had a lid and stuff, but I figured I'd just work it out. Not wise at all in hindsight.

So first I assembled my equipment.



Next the lovely Ben cut off an unwanted bit of cardboard so it would be easy to close up on it's end.

Remember, always get a grown-up to help


Then I faffed about a bit as I decided where the hell to start. 

In the end, I decided to just cut some fabric and see what happened. It went to plan for a while.

Almost neat innit?

I had super fun with the glue gun, I highly recommend you get one, it's a satisfying thing to use.

So I managed to cover the box ok and I was fairly happy with the results. I decided then to do the lining with some super cute fabric. 

It was at this point I remembered that I don't have the patience or attention to detail for these kind of things.



I basically just shoved the fabric in the box and glued and cut and cut and glued until it was done. Oddly, it was a giant mess.

I made 2 major mistakes. Firstly, sticking the sides so I couldn't put the excess fabric neatly under the main lining there. This meant it was precariously stuck to the top hanging down, then the rest had to be stuck outside the main fabric on the bottom, looking super-messy.




Secondly, I got scissor happy and cut too early so I didn't have enough fabric to complete the lining on the top of the lip that keeps it closed. 




To be honest, once it was done and stuck I was so sick of the sight of it I just shoved it on the side and left it there to languish.

So sad


However, after my strop had ended, I looked at it again, tried putting the perfume in and, honestly, I don't hate it. It keeps my perfumes out of the sun, it looks ok when it's closed, I have spare fabric left over and I know how (not) to do it for next time. Yay me!

Ooh, fancy (if you don't look too closely)

So, should you try it? If your box is open like on the link then go for it, just take a bit of care on the lining, that's where it gets tricky. Otherwise only try if you have the things I lack, i.e. patience and any kind of expertise.

That's me for now,

Love and kisses,

H.




No comments:

Post a Comment