Saturday 29 March 2014

One small step for fatkind

So today Ben and I went shopping, and I wore this.

Not the most exciting of outfits, I know. The skirt is bright, but mostly I'm wearing it because it's long 
and I feel the need to cover up as much as possible. See, I'm fat and according to society at large that's not ok. I'm not here to get into a debate about the health issue, however I would say that, if it's better to be thinner healthwise, I'm pretty sure making me feel terrible about myself isn't the answer to helping me get the weight off. Also, most diets don't work long term so I'm not going to try a health intervention that's been shown not to work. 

Right, now that's off my chest we can proceed. 

I like to walk. I love being out in the world (apart from being around people who shout abuse at me, doesn't happen too regularly, but enough to make me wary of groups of young men and kids), walking makes me feel strong and it helps my historic back and shoulder problems. However, I live in England so a lot of the time I'm walking in rain. As I'm sure you can imagine, my preferred uniform of long skirts and flared trousers is a bit of a pain in these circumstances as they soak up the groundwater and deposit it on my shoes, so even waterproof shoes have issues, particularly lace-ups.

Now I love the way I look in leggings, but I appreciate that not everyone in the world will. I'd love to go out in them and a long top but I'm just not that brave yet. So I thought maybe a short dress....?

I tried to go to evans to look for one, but the store listed on the website no longer existed, so.... great work there evans. 

This is me giving evans the side-eye


Given that I'm already limited in where I can shop this was a blow that I could have done without.

Luckily there was an asda across the way so I decided to give that a try. I got 2 dresses, and I'm currently trying to build up the courage to wear them out of the house. 





I think they'll be great in a spring shower and I can pair them with my lovely new pink crocs (judge me as much as you like, I bloody love them!).




Let me know what you think, is it ok to wear a short dress so I ca walk more easily? If not, why not? I'm intellectually convinced it is, but somehow I'm still scared to do it.

Love and kisses,

H.

No comments:

Post a Comment